Short Term Rentals

Short Term Rentals (STRs) are commonly known as AirBnB's, VBOs, etc. and are gaining popularity among visitors for accommodation options while at the same time impacting the local housing market. By regulating STRs, the City is working to find a balance between visitor accommodation choices, the ability for permanent residents to supplement their income, and the long term housing needs of residents. 

What’s new?

At the March 25, 2022 Special Council Meeting, Council adopted updated STR regulations to provide clarity about where the use is permitted, the applicable regulations, and to allow for thoughtful expansion in areas where a STR can be undertaken. Council proceeded to amend and adopt updates to the supporting Business Licence Bylaw, Fees & Charges Bylaw, and the Municipal Ticket Information System Bylaw at their April 19, 2022 Regular Council Meeting

Development Services staff are here to help you through the new regulations. To operate a short term rental in Revelstoke for stays of less than 30 days, you must have a valid Short Term Rental Business Licence and comply with operating requirements.

Get started today

Zoning and Eligibility

Determine your property's zone through the City's Interactive Map and review the Zoning Bylaw regulations over STRs. To be eligible to apply for a STR Business Licence, the zone designation over your property must list Short Term Rental as a permitted use and you must be able to comply with all STR regulations, such as: supplementary regulations, zone's conditions of use, off-street parking, and definitions. See the STR Factsheet for more information on eligibility and the new regulations. 

Business Licensing

If you are eligible to apply for a STR Business Licence, submit the completed Application Package to or in person at the Development Services front counter at City Hall (216 Mackenzie Ave, Second St Entrance) for processing. 

The following information is required with your application submission, see checklist below and within the Application Package

If a licence is issued, it needs to be renewed on an annual basis. Owners are required to make the premises available for inspections at the request of the City to ensure compliance with applicable bylaws.  

Will the City enforce regulations?

Yes, the City will undertake both a proactive and reactive approach to enforcement to ensure concerns from the community are addressed.

Enforcement Information  

  • Up until August 31, 2022, an education based approach to enforcement will be undertaken to allow illegal operators to come into compliance or to pursue an activity that is permitted on their property. 
  • As of September 1, 2022enforcement will be undertaken in a two-step process including: 
    • A formal written notice providing a specified period for which the operator must apply for a business license; and
    • Should no business licenses be applied for within the specified time period outlined in the formal written notice, further enforcement measures will be undertaken which may include issuance of tickets. 
  • The primary method for reactive bylaw enforcement will be undertaken through existing resources at the City including the SeeClickFix system as well as email, phone, and walk-in complaints. 
  • The primary method for proactive bylaw enforcement will be undertaken through software that tracks Short Term Rental activities, and cross referencing those findings with issued Business Licenses. 
  • Those that are found to be advertising without a valid business license will be subject to further enforcement.   
  • If an owner is refused a business license for failing to demonstrate adherence to applicable bylaws and found to be advertising for a Short Term Rental or Bed and Breakfast use, then no formal written notice shall be provided and immediate enforcement shall be undertaken.